Yesterday was my “D” Day. As in, I made my Decision NOT to run the California International Marathon on Sunday. I will have a “DNS” on my running record for “Did Not Start” 🙁
Obviously I feel sadness and a sense of loss about this. It sucks not being in the event. However, I also see benefits of my decision. And since I would rather be positive than negative, I shall list them:
The Benefits (So Far) of Choosing Not to do CIM this Weekend
- I get to sleep in 🙂
- I get to enjoy the cool weather in a mellow, relaxed manner.
- I get to enjoy the Holidays without also having to recover from a marathon.
- I get to feel like a normal person, physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- With how things have gone, I am redefining victory. It pleases me to have completed two marathon-length runs during training (which I wrote about here and here).
- I am relieved to have made a firm decision after over three weeks of uncertainty.
- This situation prompted me (finally) to reach out and get some professional help to maintain my running health.
- I feel that I am making a mature decision. I also feel that I am deferring running a marathon for when I can give it my best… which truly is my preference!
And with that, I would like to say that I am excited for everyone who is running on Sunday. I look forward to cheering you on from the sidelines. Go get ’em!