What do you do to get into a positive state? What activities get you there and keep you there?
Here are some of the activities that seem to work best for me:
- Exercise. While running, I am usually listening to something inspiring or positive, or I am repeating positive mantras and affirmations as I get into the run. Also, I am generally experiencing joy, satisfaction, and feelings of accomplishment to be exercising.
- Writing. Recently, this has been working really well at the cafe: I get into a positive flow and just grow my mood to higher and higher states of inspiration.
- Watching movies. Whether we are at home or at the theater, watching movies can be some of the most inspiring times for me. Especially on the big screen.
- Reading. whether a novel or non-fiction, I generally find reading relaxing, enjoyable, and edifying.
- Teaching. When I’m teaching, by necessity I am in a positive mind state so I can be of service to others. It generally is beneficial for all involved, and I come away feeling great most of the time.
- Positive interactions with others. Whether I am performing with others, having good conversations with friends, hanging out with family, enjoying time with my wife, in a class, or brainstorming for a project with others, interacting is a great way to get into a heightened state.
- Performing. Before any performance, I always make a point of clearing my mind so that I can be clear-headed and in good spirits. Have to be. It’s a professional necessity!
- Seeing live theater or comedy. I generally love seeing live performances, especially if it’s theater or comedy.
- Being creative. Whether writing a post for this blog, writing a piece of music, or recording, I love the high that comes from focusing on creative expression. I found out last fall it even works on class projects!
- Eating food. Personally, I generally find eating fun and positive. The anticipation alone of a good meal is good for my mood!
- Being in nature. Being outside is a great place to think about things that matter to me. It can also be a great place to have good conversations with others. There is also the aspect of accomplishment, if it is a long hike or run. And beautiful vistas or unusual scenery are always worth it!
- Going to a book store. Generally I’m not much into shopping, but I have a lot of enthusiasm for bookstores. Even simply browsing the titles, looking for future reads, is stimulating and inspiring. (Because it is 2019, I feel I should say this: yes, I prefer actually being in a physical bookstore). Also works for libraries.